Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Silent Witness 2008


This picture was taken this afternoon after the ceremony in the park on my cell phone. I think the sunlight filtering through the trees gives the photo a dramatic affect.
This year the ceremony was a little different. This year we were handed a piece of paper to write a note to our loved one who was murdered. I wrote, "Beckie and boys, we still miss you and love you. Your killer is still in prison. Give Momma a hug for us. Jo, Rubye & Ellie and family." Then that was attached to a sachet around her neck and when the roll call was read, they gave a little biography about each woman murdered. Then we walked in a precession to the town square about 6 blocks away where the Mayor read the Proclamation to End Domestic Violence.
It was a lovely ceremony but I cried most of the way through it. I don't know why I got so emotional all of a sudden but tears are good!
I will continue to hold up my sword against violence and keep marching until I take my last breath! I am a warrior for the cause.
Peace,
Jo

13 Comments:

  • At October 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Wow, that's so great you got to participate, Jo. What a beautiful, yet hard thing. Great pic, too. You're looking pretty great, too, skinny lady! Love and miss you lots!

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Sue said...

    Thanks for sharing...you humble me...which is always good...

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    thank you for sending that pic to me on my phone! it was a surprise and i really appreciate it. yes, the light is a dramatic effect. thank you for writing to beckie and the boys from us!

    love you so much!

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Wow that is wonderful that you got to wrote a note this year. I will never forget when Calvin & I got to march and carry silouettes in Gillette, we all cried too. We must never forget any of them.

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Paula In Pinetop said...

    I don't know the circumstance surrounding this post but none the less it was very touching.

    Sending a little hug your way.

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM , Blogger San said...

    Wow, such a powerful ceremony. Tears are good. They are cleansing, and we all need the cleansing.

    The filtering light makes it appear that your dear ones are looking down and sending their love and blessings.

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 2:39 PM , Blogger Preity Angel... said...

    Thats very lovely Jo... you got a change to participate. I like that picture as well

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    WOW!!!! that is so so cool. I wish I could be have been there. I was thinking the same thing as san was. They were looking down upon you. Very touching. I always think of the ones who do not have anyone there to represent them. Every one of them should have someone there for them. I am thankful that you were there for Aunt Beckie! I love you aunt Jo!!

     
  • At October 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Deb said...

    Jo ~ I don't know you but I think you are one very strong woman and I do believe that your sister and her children are looking down at you with love and pride. I hope you are never silent. Celebrate life each day, as you do, with tears, laughter, reflection and positive energy. Thank you for fighting for this cause. Take care.

     
  • At October 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Jules~ said...

    Jo, I haven't personally had anything like this tragedy in my life and didn't know that there were ceremonies to mark time. I think it is a wonderful way to honor all the families and victims affected. Please don't pressure yourself for crying. I can only imagine the emotions of the day. It is so cleansing and healing.
    Thank you for sharing it all here.

     
  • At October 5, 2008 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Glad you are home now!

     
  • At October 7, 2008 at 8:13 PM , Blogger myonlyphoto said...

    Jo you are an amazing soul, God bless you for your work. Anna :)

     
  • At October 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The sunlight is from heaven reaching out to hug you. (hugs jo-jo)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home