Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Almost like a water torture....

Wyoming Board of Parole
This morning I left my house at 5:55 and drove 112 miles east to Rawlins. I had an 8:30 appointment with the BOP. It has been almost 18 years since Beckie's murder and I finally felt strong enough to go and present my concerns to the Parole Board about Beckie's killer.
First I stopped at a Quik Mart and bought myself a giant cup of coffee with yummy creamer and managed to dump it down the front of my new red sweater. Then I went to the court house and found my long time friend, Loretta who is also a victim's advocate and then we walked three blocks to the BOP office.
I had been told that the only appointment that I could have was the 8:30 slot because they had to be out at the Pen by 9:00. I waited until 9:30 before I was ushered into the board room.
I was greeted by three friendly faces, two of which were familiar to me. I have been in the work of victim services for 14 years and have met many wonderful people along the way, two of which sat at the table in front of me.
I was treated with courtesy and respect. The Board asked me what my concerns were and I told them everything my family and I have been going through for the last couple of years. I took documents which the killer produced and distributed statewide about the slayings. The Board was appalled and surprised but grateful that I gave them copies.
To make a long story short, Beckie's killer will not be considered for commutation in the near future. After the meeting was over, I walked out of there feeling like a load of bricks had been lifted from my shoulders.
Even though it has been almost 18 years, going through the pain and process does not get any easier. I used to receive the Parole Hearing Notifications on my birthday until I requested that they send them a day or two later so they didn't arrive then. It seems the killer keeps attempting to have his name in the media looking for notoriety and just won't quit. It is my duty as Beckie's sister to give her and her three boys who were also murdered, a voice.
I liken it to a slow drip that keeps plopping in the middle of my forehead and doesn't stop, just like a water torture. As long as I am alive, I will continue to endure.

10 Comments:

  • At September 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM , Blogger RiverPoet said...

    Wow, this is intense. I'm so glad that you are still advocating for your sister and her children in this horrible crime.

    My cousin was murdered in 1982 when her son was only 7 and she was only 22. Her family didn't want a huge investigation and all that came with it. They allowed it to be ruled a suicide.

    Her murdered will never spend one day behind bars, but I know that someday he will face the final judgment.

    Peace - D

     
  • At September 24, 2008 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    So close to my heart what you went through yesterday...

     
  • At September 24, 2008 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    thank you so much for stepping up for our sister and nephew. i'm sure you did a very good job, as you are an excellent speaker...nervous or not, i am sure you made your point very well. i'm sure the 4 beautiful faces are looking down and thank you, jo...and now you can rest!

     
  • At September 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    In their memory you continue to speak for your loved ones. I hope you find some peace from him into the far future.

     
  • At September 24, 2008 at 10:39 PM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    that was a huge step. You are a strong woman and have a way with words! I admire you for your strength aunt Jo! Keep your head up!

    Ps. Too bad about that sweater! You did something I would do! LOL. Love you!

     
  • At September 26, 2008 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Jules~ said...

    Oh my ..... I don't know what to say.
    I have only been able to visit with you a couple of times and have so much to learn about your life.

    I am grieved that you have had to go through so much pain and loss. I commend you for having the strength to stand, for being a voice, their voice, and presenting evidence that keeps this person out of harms way.
    Thank you for being firm and resolute despite the fact that many emotions and feelings threatened to surface.
    I am so glad that you felt the weight lifted off of your shoulders and you have a time of rest.
    God bless you.

     
  • At September 27, 2008 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    You did a good job Jo, thank you for going through that for Beckieand the boys, for Mom adn your 2 sisters and all of our children.
    That's really sad for riverpoet, they need some closure.

     
  • At September 29, 2008 at 5:54 AM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Wow, Jo...I had no idea about any of that--not the media attention or the propaganda spread all over. I'm so glad you were able to go and be heard, and very thankful that he won't be released. Thank you for being the voice!

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM , Blogger San said...

    Jo, this is very courageous of you, to keep doing this work, again and again. I am so sorry that you have to relive an unfathomable tragedy each time you do the work, but it's so important.

     
  • At October 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM , Blogger San said...

    P.S. It's not just important to honor the memory of your precious ones, but you are saving others from great pain too. Imagine what such a remorseless individual might do if freed.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home