Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

It's Wyoming...


Today, while I was driving home from hunting camp, the clear blue day and the beauty of Wyoming overwhelmed me. I couldn't help but think of the song we sang while we were growing up: It's Wyoming by R.S. Hamilton and Marvin Rainwater. It goes like this:




There's a place I love the best
It is still the old, old west.
It's a land that is beautiful and free.


I can smell the sage and pine, over on the far skyline.

It's Wyoming and it's home sweet home to me.

Rolling plains, rolling plains, it's Wyoming and it's home sweet home to me.

When the twilight's shadows fall, there there comes a distant call
of a coyote as he still across the plains.
While the night winds whisper near, there are antelope and deer
slowly grazing way out there upon the range.
Rolling plains, rolling plains, they are grazing way out there upon the range.

There the mountains rise so high, to touch a clear blue western sky
As the trout streams tumble from their mighty crest.














There are valleys rich and green
where the cattle can be seen


It's Wyoming where the sage hen builds her nest. Rolling plains, rolling plains, it's Wyoming where the sage hen builds her nest.



And the old sheepherder too, comes a riding into view, as he beds his woolly flock upon a hill. There are hoof prints in the sand of a roaming mustang band.


I love Wyoming and I guess I always will.


Rolling plains, rolling plains, I love Wyoming and I guess I always will.


I LOVE WYOMING AND I GUESS I ALWAYS WILL!

8 Comments:

  • At September 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your photos fit the song perfectly.

     
  • At September 8, 2008 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Wonderful memories of singing that song with Dad & Mom & my sisters....
    great pictures to go with OUR Song Jo!!!!

     
  • At September 8, 2008 at 9:29 AM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    that song brings up a lot of memories for me too! camping and singing!

     
  • At September 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Wow, cool pics and fun to read all the lyrics. I haven't heard that song in its entirety before! Great post! Love you!

     
  • At September 8, 2008 at 11:22 AM , Blogger San said...

    Jo, I'm struggling to write this, since I just came back from Meanie aka Chuck's place and I am still thinking in dwagonese.

    Your Wyoming photos remind me a little of northern New Mexico. Another lovable place. :-D

    Coyotes frequent our yard here and a few weeks ago we were amazed to see an ANTELOPE behind the house. My father-in-law had said he'd seen two in his yard, and we thought he was having visions! Then, one wandered into the greenbelt out back and our guests from Chicago saw it!

    O give me a home where the BUFFALO roam. Is that next?

    Thanks for the great pictures and the song, which I'd never heard.

     
  • At September 8, 2008 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    lots and lots of memories of growing up and the mountains of Pinedale!

     
  • At September 8, 2008 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Deb said...

    I have never been to Wyoming so I truly enjoyed this virtual tour. We have coyotes here in New England - I don't like it when they wake me up with their howling - creepy! Great pictures!

     
  • At September 10, 2008 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Chewy: Yes, I picked the pictures from my collection. I guess I must live the song. lol

    Rubye Jean: Yes, wonderful memories of singing with our parents!

    A. Bananna: Yes, we tried to pass on the same legacy to our children as our parents did.

    Lynetta: Now you have all the words so you can sing it with your children. Well, maybe they don't want to sing about Wyoming. lol

    San: I know what you mean about 'dwagunese', I have a tough time switching back and forth myself.

    Ellie: Yes, lots of memories and singing in the car whenever we went somewhere.

    Deb: If you are ever out to Wyoming, I will give you more than a virtual tour.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home