Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Memories of Dad....

Today is Dad's birthday. I am the same age now that he was when he died suddenly of a heart attack. He retired in 1978 and was only able to enjoy his retirement for 3 years. He was a large man, bigger than life. I wasn't the only one who thought he looked like Marshall Dillon from 'Gun Smoke.' When he walked into the room, everyone knew that he was there.





Dad had an air about him that demanded respect and he was highly regarded in the community and throughout Wyoming. When he became a Game Warden he saw there was a need for a reference manual for G&F personnel about Wyoming's Wildlife. On his own, he painstakingly wrote it and it was published for all G&F personnel. It is still used today. My daughter has a friend who's boyfriend works for the G&F in Green River. Laura asked him if he had one of those reference manuals and he said of course he did. She then told him that it was her Grandfather that wrote it. She was beaming with pride when she was relating that story to me.

Dad had quite a sense of humor and was a prankster. One time when I was newly married and pregnant, late in the evening there was a knock on our apartment door. My husband answered it and in walked a man I didn't recognize but had a G&F jacket on. He told my husband that he was there to check our freezer to see how many frozen fish we had. My husband was a fisherman and hunter and our freezer was full of wild game but had no fish because we ate what he caught, right away. I thought this was an odd request because I had not heard of anyone 'randomly' checking people's freezers for fish. Our freezer chest was close to the door so my husband opened it. The man inspected or freezer then commenced to tell my husband that he had labled the packages wrong, had them stored out of order etc. It was at that time that my husband became irritated and started yelling at the man. That's when I heard it, the sound of my Dad's deep throated laughter booming from the porch; it was a prank! My grandparents learned to 'guard their cart' whenever they went grocery shopping with my parents because if they didn't, they would find all kinds of strange things that they hadn't put there. I remember Dad relating the incidents to us and how tears would roll down his cheeks because he was laughing so hard about teasing his parents.

Dad did not tolerate ignorance or disrespect. He did not tolerate the use of slang or any kind of cussing. Even though he raised 6 girls he taught us and had us work like men. We chopped wood, hauled wood, shoveled snow, cleaned the barn stalls, mowed the grass (with a push mower not a gas or electric one) and taught us a work ethic that is still with me to this day.


As a husband and father Dad made his mistakes but somehow through the years since his death, the mistakes have faded and good memories of his sense of humor and laughter ring stronger. Dad lived hard and died young and left a legacy for his daughters and grandchildren.

I still miss you Daddy and today I am celebrating your memory!



10 Comments:

  • At August 8, 2008 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    Very nice tribute to our dad!

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 9:54 AM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    very sweet aunt Jo! I love you!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    wonderful tribute to a man larger than life...Darwin Eugene Creek my beloved father.
    "Elk refudge, '74".

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    lmao rubye.

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Yes, he is gone but will never be forgotten. :o)

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    *refuge is that the right spelling?
    You did a good job on this Jo.
    Dand's unwilling side-kick in the gag was Junior as in Bonnie & Junior from Mich. last name left me...Mike said he knew womething ws hay-wire when dhe saw the guy's badge was crooked...there WAS a limit of how many frozen game fish you could keep. Anyway...thank you for the meories, he was such a prankster & YOU are the wedding prankster ffs!

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Beautiful tribute, Aunt JoJo! I miss him extra today. I didn't know he would put stuff in Grandma Rubye's cart! That's extra naughty :-) Guess we all come by it honestly, huh?

     
  • At August 11, 2008 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    I had to go read this again becuase it was so good! Now today is Grandpa Harlold's birthday.
    You know Jo,we ALL make mistakes as parents and as spouses. It's part of being human, and a part of growth. Moa angelo says "When we know better, we do better!" amen
    Love you Jo Jo!!!!!!!

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 10:36 AM , Blogger San said...

    Jo, this was a very special post for me to read. As you know, my own dad's birthday was the 7th. He too was very well known in our community. And I didn't agree with everything he did either. He passed on several years ago and I find myself remembering the inspiring things he did.

    One of these days I will have to post about him...

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Cath said...

    So long since I have been over. Prompted by San mentioning you - glad you got the painting you wanted btw.

    This is a beautiful post with great memories and your deep respect and love for the man shines through.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home