Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Internet Friendships...

In the "Good Old Days", before dirt, women were out numbered by men, (in some places 10 to 1) and there was a special bonding that women enjoyed with each other. The pioneer women had many hardships which they commonly shared that were different from the men folk. Life in the West was harsh and friendship was one of the delights they held precious.

In this modern day of a throw away society, we often forget or at the least take for granted our friendships. Instant messenger has taken the place of writing a letter, e-cards have replaced homemade cards or a hand written note. When distance and time comes between two friends, it is easy to forget the laughs and good times you spent together but most importantly how significant that person was in your life at one time. As I get older, I have learned to value my friendships more than I ever have.

Before computers and easy access to the worldwide web, a person's friends were limited to their personal exposure to their surroundings and culture. Today, all of that has changed because the internet has made the community a worldwide place with no boundaries.

I have met many people in the blogging world and have become "friends" with a few. Time and distance still plays a part when friendships are formed but nevertheless 'true' friends still can be found. Sisterhood means more to me than only my two beautiful blood sisters,(even though E & RJ are two very important women in my life); sisterhood is a bonding of like minds and spirits.

For those women in my life (including nieces and nieces-in-law), if I haven't told you in person that I love you and appreciate you, let me tell you now. For my internet friends, know that I am honored to call you "My Friend."

Love,
Jo

16 Comments:

  • At August 3, 2008 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Very true words JoJo.
    That picture reminds me of old photos of Gramma and Aunt Violet!

     
  • At August 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    there is so much strength in the friendship of women, i agree, jo jo!

    i love that picture!

    very nicely written!

     
  • At August 3, 2008 at 8:25 PM , Blogger M&M FAMILY said...

    love ya !

     
  • At August 4, 2008 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Thanks, Jo Jo! Love you lots too and I'm so glad to be your neice. :-)

     
  • At August 4, 2008 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Lee said...

    This is so true. The deepest and strongest friendship I ever had started on the internet. Now I've got several internet friends I plan on visiting someday.

    Good post, Jo!

    Peace!
    Lee

     
  • At August 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    I love you tooo aunt bo bo! :)

     
  • At August 4, 2008 at 12:25 PM , Blogger San said...

    Another beautiful post, Jo.

    Being a part of a supportive circle of women got me through some challenging times. It is so important to nurture our friendships and keep them thriving.

     
  • At August 5, 2008 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    RJ: I thot the pix reminded me of Aunt Violet and Grandma too!

    Ellie: Yes, there is nothing else that compares to sisterhood!

    M&M: Love you all, too!

    Lynetta: So glad we have each other! Love you all!

    Lee: One wouldn't think that true friendships can be found over cyberspace but they can! It just goes to show that people can connect on all levels! Thanks for visiting, please come back!

    AJ: Love you too you naughty tt!

    San: Yes, I have found the samething to be true and you find out who your true freinds are when you go through those difficult times. Yes, just like everything else that lives, if you don't nurture it, it will fade away.

    Go GIRL POWER!!!!!!!

     
  • At August 5, 2008 at 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Girl Power, YES!
    The internet is wonderful in bringing people together.

     
  • At August 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Bringing new friends, re-uniting with old ones and keeping your beloved family closer when you are physically miles and miles apart!
    love you Jo Jo!

     
  • At August 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Bennie said...

    Hi Jo,
    Before I left for the gallery this morning, San said something like: "I've made some real friends in the blogging community, it's a great feeling." I sure do appreciate her sentiment--one can't have enough friends to send positive vibes on a regular basis. You are one of those friends and by extension a friend to me too.

    I want to thank you for your acquisition of "River of Now." If there's one observation I've made in the past 25 years of working in the business of fine art sales that resonates, it's this... It takes as much audacity and perseverance to purchase a fine art piece as it does to create it. Artists and art buyers are not so far apart. It's such a personal thing. You can't wear it around your neck or drive it with the top down on the street; not that there's anything wrong with unique jewelry or cool cars. It's just that a meaningful art piece may only be engaging to the maker and the receiver--it may only exist in that small sphere. "River of Now" was created with quality--the kind of quality that Robert Pirsig struggled to define: from an act of caring. That's why it's more than a picture, that's why it flows.

    To risk using an obvious metaphor: I'm so glad you're floating along.

     
  • At August 7, 2008 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Wildbillticktock:

    Wow! I am so delighted and feel privilaged to be visited by you! You know I have been a fan of yours for sometime now! I thank you for your kind words but it is ME who is honored to have one of San's masterpieces in my presence! I am awed and delighted everytime I gaze at it!

    I don't take friendship lightly and I very much appreciate yours and San's friendship. We will meet one day my friends!
    Jo

     
  • At August 7, 2008 at 1:00 PM , Blogger San said...

    I had to come over and read Wild Bill's comment.

    That's quite a guy I married--what he wrote about art buyers is SO true. Love to both of you...

     
  • At August 7, 2008 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Mon said...

    I stumbled over here from Martini Cartwheels. I agree with you totally, I've found many friends in the blogging community. I also wanted to say we are neighbors, I live in MT, and have been going to WY all my life as that's where my grandparents lived.

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Martini Cartwheels said...

    I feel very fortunate to have met such a wonderful group of people through blogging. I feel like I have friends all over the country now. And I appreciate and value them all!

     
  • At August 12, 2008 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Cath said...

    Such true words and I am finding the truth in what you say all the time. Whilst one friend whom I held dear chooses to be so offended by what I said that she abuses me and ignores me, I find the friendships I have otherwise and those gained on the blog are so uplifting and supportive...
    I wonder sometimes how I managed before the internet!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home