Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving....

Most of you know of my losses, disappointments and heartbreaks over the last two years and that I have not dwelled on them but have always taken an optimistic stand. Even though the tears have flowed, I have come out on top because I am a survivor. I have many things to be thankful for:

1) My health
2) My children and grandchildren
3) My two supportive sisters and other supportive relations
4) My job
5) My home
6) My automobile
7) Living in Wyoming
8) Above all, my Faith and Savior

For Thanksgiving, we are going to light candles for those we have loved and lost as Chewy suggested in one of her comments and we are going to pass around the bean pot. This is a tradition I started many years ago (some aren't especially fond of it). Each person at the table has 3 beans. As we eat we pass around the bean pot and each person puts a bean into the pot and tells of something they are thankful for without duplicating what someone else has already said and there are no "ditto's" allowed. The bigger the table of people, the more beans go into the pot. The next day you make a pot of bean soup or some other dish with beans and remember all of the chatter and laughter that went with the blessing bean pot.

I love Thanksgiving and being with my family and remembering those who have gone on but, I am thankful everyday for the blessing I receive!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Jolene

13 Comments:

  • At November 22, 2007 at 10:24 AM , Blogger B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

    Gosh that sownds like a grayte idea. I wunder if it wud werk wiv choklit peanuts. Not the soup bit, oviossly. Well.... I spoze I cud melt them all down an eet them wiv a spoon. Oooo yum!

    Happy Thanksgiving- sendin nose hugs!

    An don't eet too menny beans. They mayke yor bottom burp. HEHEHEHE!

    :@}

     
  • At November 22, 2007 at 4:30 PM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    I had such a wonderful time with you today! It was a blessing to have all of you here at my house today!! love yah!!

    bottom burps?? never heard it explained like that before! lol.

     
  • At November 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    i didn't know you made soup with the dang beans, we never got THAT far! lol

    missed you guys, but we had a nice dinner, too. good to have family...our health and our family are all we really have...just like mom used to say!

    love you jo jo
    when are you coming to see me???

    xxxooo

     
  • At November 23, 2007 at 8:27 AM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    We will come and see you when there is no more snow. lol. too cold for us!

     
  • At November 23, 2007 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    Hope you have a very safe trip home! Love you!

     
  • At November 23, 2007 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    You are getting ready to fly out right now...we had such a wonderful time, everything turned out great....you are doing great Jolene...you have a thankful heart & that's important!
    you have Chuck too ffs thats good!

     
  • At November 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    What a wonderful tradition! Glad you had such a nice day. Love you!

     
  • At November 24, 2007 at 6:41 AM , Blogger San said...

    Jolene, I love your blessings soup tradition. I am grateful that you are putting up a blog!

     
  • At November 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jojo,
    I finally am making the blog rounds. Catching up on our American blogger friends holiday and traditions. The bean pot is a wonderful idea. I'm so happy you liked my candle idea. I told my family a bit about your family taking up the candle tradition. I'm still a little unclear how you all are related. (scratches head)
    Darlene

     
  • At November 25, 2007 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Chewy...
    JoJo & Ms. Creek & I are sisters
    Abanana is my daughter
    Lolly is JoJo's daughter
    Lynetta is another niece...from a sister we won't meantion
    is that clearer>>>????
    ffs
    and we didn't even burn down the house with all the candles!

     
  • At November 25, 2007 at 3:07 PM , Blogger david mcmahon said...

    Hi Jolene,

    I came here from San Meredith's site. You've had a tough road, but you;re so right about the need to acknowledge, evaluate and give thanks for the great blessings we have and sometimes forget about.

    God bless

    David

     
  • At November 25, 2007 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Yes, David, in all things give thanks! Even the bad things that happen to us have a blessing in disguise. I always look for a silver lining; I guess I am a hopeless optimist.

     
  • At December 3, 2007 at 11:24 AM , Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

    What a great idea, may well try this out on Christmas Day.
    I am hosting the family dinner, 8 of us in all.

    Hugs from north Yorkshire, UK
    Denise

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home