Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Friday, June 20, 2008

I had a dream....

I had a dream last night that is still haunting me this morning so I decided to blog about it. Some say dreams are memories of things that have actually happened while others say our dreams for tell our future and I have read that dreams are just brain activity while you sleep. I hope my dreams are not in the first category because then I would consider myself very weird!

I dreamed I was standing at the bottom of a dam. I was inspecting it, trying to find leaks or possible leaks. I was chewing gum and thought I would use it if I found a leak but there were none. People kept coming up to me and talking to me about this process and even though I listened politely to what they were saying, I would diligently continue to search for leaks. Some talked to me about the gum I was chewing, if it would hold a leak or not, some talked to me about things that weren't relevant to my task at hand. I remember feeling a sense of urgency that I had to find a leak because a dam that big could not be without one and it was my duty to find it and plug it.

Flaming Gorge Dam 2008

I am not sure what this dream was all about; I am pretty sure it was not a memory.

As I have been writing this post the thought occurred to me that this dream could be symbolic of my life thus far. The dam could be symbolic of my life and relationships. I have been 'plugging holes' all of my life, trying to fix cracked or broken relationships. I did not have the skills or the tools to really accomplish that task (bubble gum). But, I was diligent in watching for any sign of leaks.

Today, at this time in my life, I have better skills of communicating and resolving conflict. I am more honest with myself and others about my feelings. I still have some trust issues but I think not trusting everyone at face value is a good trait. I am open to new and different ideas instead of thinking in only black and white abstracts. My life has taken on a new form or an enhanced form of my previous life. A year ago, I would have never believed I would be riding on the back of a motorcycle and enjoying it. It's amazing what I have accomplished in overcoming fear and narrow mindedness. I am celebrating my life!

What do you think my dream means?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Jo

20 Comments:

  • At June 20, 2008 at 9:49 AM , Blogger San said...

    If it were my dream, Jo, I might consider that it's time to let go a little of the vigilance, to go with the flow. Maybe ride a motorcycle through the Wyoming spring air and take joy in the fact that someone else is doing some of the driving.

    :-D

     
  • At June 20, 2008 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Thanks San! That is exactly what I am going to be doing next week!

     
  • At June 20, 2008 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    my counselor told me that dreams are our subconscious mind at work...something deeper, perhaps, than we can handle or remember. it's interesting, tho.

     
  • At June 20, 2008 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Someone told me once that in dreams, water is symbolic of sex. If that is true then am I waiting for a leak or for the dam to burst? LOL

     
  • At June 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Preity Angel... said...

    What a dream Jo...I am sorry for my late visit on your blog.. actually i have to tell you guys something.. that I am expecting a baby..in January. thats why i was so busy with the doctor's visits

    well I hope everything is going well with you guys.

    catch you later

     
  • At June 20, 2008 at 7:53 PM , Blogger david mcmahon said...

    Beautifully narrated, Jo

    I agree with San. Enjoy every facet of your life. As your own blog name says, celebrate it.

    You share so many amazing facets of your life - and there are so many more ``essences'' of life waiting to be discovered ....

    God bless

     
  • At June 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Is that he Hoover Dam?
    Beaver Tooth O'Neil Dam?
    Is that s Damn Dam?
    Love you!

     
  • At June 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Interesting dream, Jo Jo. I'm about to drift off to dreamland myself or I would take some time to ponder it some more. Love you and sweet dreams!

     
  • At June 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM , Blogger myonlyphoto said...

    Jo I think you may have already answered your dream, glad that your life has changed. I am the same, things I did years ago are different what I would do today. I also dream, and the scary part is that it is almost like a second life, can you imagine if the dream was the real thing, and what we doing now is a dream, lol. Thanks for sharing your interesting story. Anna :) BTW I am opposite, I was on the back of the motorcycle before, but not sure if I would do it now, unless it is moving below 50 km/hr, lol.

     
  • At June 22, 2008 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    i think it's the damn dam, vel! lol

     
  • At June 22, 2008 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Jo,
    Maybe it means to stop looking for problems that aren't there... and if any little problems pop up (leaks), they will be easy to fix (chewing gum). Relax and enjoy the "good place" you are at.

     
  • At June 22, 2008 at 9:21 PM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    That is what I was thinking chewy. I think that you should just say dam it.

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 2:36 AM , Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

    This so reminds me of an experience i had way back when I was about 15. I was doing my homework on the dining table when I knocked over a bottle of ink. I rushed into the toilet and grabbed a huge amount of toilet paper which I mopped up the ink with and then flushed it down the toilet. The water level rose to within a few millimetres of the top of the toilet seat. I really panicked, imagining the entire contents of the local resovoire were going to find their way through our toilet, flood the house, the street, the estate, the town and we were all going to drown.

    Phew! It panics me now!

    Grreat to share Post of the Day with such a thought provoking post. Thanks David.

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 4:01 AM , Blogger Georgina said...

    Hi I arrive by Post of the Day, congratulations! That was a very thought provoking dream. Maybe it meant for you to deal with small problems as they arise and don't let them turn into huge incidents. Sort of "a stitch in time saves nine." Who knows, dreams are wierd. Debs x

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    That makes alot of sense Chewy...and I think we are right E! lol
    I dreamed last night I had had my hair in a pony tail and you cut it off jo jo! down to the hair tie! what does that mean? lol

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Angel: Congratulations on your baby and please come back and visit when you are able to!

    David: Thank you for your comment and thank you for listing me on 'Post of the Day!'

    RJ: I had to laugh with "Beaver Tooth O'Neil" That sure brought back the memories! Acutally, it is Flaming Gorge Dam.

    Lynetta: Sweet dreams to you too, Sweetie!

    Anna: Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! Please come back again!

    Chewy: You are right that I shouldn't be looking for problems and enjoy where I am in my life. I am doing my best to do just that!

    Denise: Thank you for your comments and congrats on you being on 'Post of the Day' also. I wish you peace and healing, my friend.

    Debs: Thanks for visiting and for your comments. Please hurry back!

    RJ: That wasn't a dream, it really happened but it wasn't me who was jealous of your hair and cut it off!

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

    Hello! I've arrived through David McMahon's Post of the Day. Congratulations! You have an interesting blog; I've put you in my feeds so that I'll not miss out in future. Although I believe that everyone dreams, most people don't recall them. I think it's nice when we do remember, even if we don't always know what they mean. Sometimes, the meaning becomes evident at a much later time. Dream on!

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Cath said...

    That's a very clear dream memory. I agree with San - time to let go and live. Maybe you tend to search for problems that are not there, not believing there are none, because there always have been?

    Just a thought. What ever you do, keep celebrating!

     
  • At June 23, 2008 at 3:40 PM , Blogger SuperCoolMom said...

    I'm with Chewy! Tell your subconscious to relax. So great that you documented it though. You may find your leak later and be able to come back and pinpoint it.

    Authorblog sent me :)

     
  • At June 24, 2008 at 8:29 AM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    Ok....time to write a new post! hurry up already! get to it! lol.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home