Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

To a place I have never been before.....

So now that I am back I will tell you of my adventure this week.

The meeting/retreat was great at the Vee Bar Guest Ranch. The cabins were cozy and modern and very comfortable. The Ranch served delicious and nutritious food and the lodge pets (cats and dogs) greeted everyone and were very friendly. We had a campfire one night before it got cold and snowy and sang campfire songs and made smores. The 'John Wayne' Saloon lived up to its name. A productive and relaxing time was had by all.

On Friday, the meeting was over by noon and we thought we were all going to be going home. It wasn't until we got out on the highway about 5 miles we knew that a big snow storm had moved in when the wind was up to 50-60 mph. The 20 minute drive into town became an hour long. The ground blizzard was so bad that I could barely make out the car in front of me which also had its hazard blinkers on. It was comforting to know that we were all traveling together in a caravan and if one person had a problem then there were lots of people to help. Needless to say, once we got into Laramie all roads, highways and the interstate were closed. We all vaulted for motel rooms then met for dinner, one last time.

On Saturday, the sky was blue, little wind and you couldn't even tell there had been a snowstorm except for the 8" buildup of ice on the under carriage of our cars. The highway home was smooth sailing!

Last night I had a date with my new beau, Gary. We were supposed to go to Salt Lake City together so he could buy himself a new motorcycle. Because I was snowed in at Laramie he went by himself. This morning he came by for coffee and we went for a ride on his new Honda Goldwing.




I have never ridden on a motorcycle before so this was my first. Like I told Gary, "I come from a family of six girls and boys with motorcycles were not allowed."

So Gary gave me my first real motorcycle ride. He furnished me with a leather jacket and helmet and gave me instructions on how to get on and off the bike and how to ride. At first I was a little scared. But, since I always tell others to experience new things and to step out of their comfort zone now and then, I decided to do that myself.

We rode over to Green River, (15 miles) and he introduced me to his Dad and step-mother. Gary's dad, Glenn, is 86 years old and very sweet; Shirley, 83, is also very sweet and invited me back even if I didn't have Gary with me. Then we made a big loop stopping at different friends of Gary so he could show off his new bike and introduce me. We even went over to see my daughter and grand daughters at Brenda's house. We made several more stops after that then Gary brought me home, walked me to my door, kissed me goodbye then left.

Today with Gary was incredible and by stepping out of my comfort zone, I have been to a place I have never been before!

Have a great week everyone!
Jo

14 Comments:

  • At May 5, 2008 at 6:21 AM , Blogger San said...

    Jo, I like Gary! And I like his motorcycle. And I like that you rode his motorcycle and met so many people.

    And the retreat/meeting sounds like such a great way to combine productivity with relaxation.

    Here's hoping that was your last snow. Or am I being unrealistic with regard to Wyoming weather? It dipped down to 30 a couple of nights this past week in Santa Fe. I'm hoping spring has finally sprung though, for keeps.

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Cool, so now you're a motorcycle chick? :-) Very fun! I'll have to pray for your safety now more than ever, between April snow storms and motorcycle rides. I'm glad you met a nice guy too. Love you!

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    well, good luck good luck good luck again!

    they have huge gold wing ralleys here in the summer- they call themselves the wing-dingers, lol.

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    I am glad you made it back safe and sound from Laramie.
    I still have that "cared of motorcycles" thing Dad instilled in us. Especailly when Ellie got in that cycle wreck and broke her leg.

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    well, we didn't wreck, we hit a deer and it crushed our legs against the bike. thank god we didn't wreck.

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Shrinky said...

    Wow Jo, life sounds good for you (grin). Where I live, they are big on bikes, we are expecting an influx of several thousand bikers by the end of the month for the annual races, and our regular seven or eight (I've lost count down the years) bikers will be bunking out in our sheds again. Happy days!

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 9:28 AM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    WOW! now you are a motorcycle hottie! wooooooo! LOL. glad to hear you made it home safely! how are lolly and the girls? I love you very much! have a great week!

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    San: Winter is not over yet; we can still have significant snow through June. I have seen it snow every month of the year before.

    Lynetta: Thanks for your love, support and prayers! I feel like I am going through a mid-life crisis without a crisis.

    Ellie: The Wing-dingers sound like a fun group! lol

    RJ: Gary has had a motorcycle at one time or other all of his life. He is a very good rider and I am getting to be a very passenger; I only screamed a few times!

    Shrinky: I am sure that motor bikes and motorcycles are a big part of your society. They are almost a novelty here because of the long winters and high winds. I sure enjoyed my ride.

    A. Bannana: "Motorcycle Hottie" is a better name than some! LOL

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Woo-Hoo! Born to be wild! Great to hear things are going well for you. (smile)

     
  • At May 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM , Blogger A.Bananna said...

    Leader of the pack! LOL. I like harleys better...they sound tougher! VRRRROOOOOOOMMMMM~

     
  • At May 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    i HATE the noise pollution of harleys and their mechanics...gold wings are great!

     
  • At May 6, 2008 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    I like the Gold Wing. It's large enough to feel safe on and yet quiet. It's fun to ride. I am looking forward to this summer when we can go explore!

     
  • At May 6, 2008 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Preity Angel... said...

    Jo, I really like the motorcycle..what a lovely post you wrote asusual..Glad to hear you made it home safely.

    Good luck

     
  • At May 6, 2008 at 11:31 AM , Blogger San said...

    Good morning, Jo! I've put up a new post over at my place and now I see that I missed the one you put up previous to this one...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home