Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Peace Lily



When my husband died two years ago last October, I was given a Peace Lily from my Sheriff who was also the president of my board of directors. It brought me peace in a time of crisis. Since then, it has been a struggle to keep it alive because I am gone so much. I have often been tempted to just throw it out but something inside of me keeps wanting to nurture it and keep it growing and blooming.

This past week, I had a birth and a death in my life and it has me pondering the cycle of life. We are all put here for a reason, a purpose; am I fulfilling my purpose or am I just going through the motions of existence?

There are so many people in history, famous and obscure who have made a mark on my life; they are too numerous to list. I do not want to just merely exist but to make a difference. I do not think I will change the world with an invention, scientific breakthrough or even a literary masterpiece but, I hope to change and improve the world around me, where I am planted.

I can do this by becoming more "Green", by recycling, using less paper products, picking up the litter others have carelessly dropped. I can bring a smile to the grocery clerk who is having a bad day and hand write a note to a lonely Aunt. I can show compassion to others whenever they cross my path and I can be a good citizen by voting and respecting those who are leaders.

I may never be famous and receive the Pulitzer Peace Prize but I can help bring peace to my part of the world by my attitude and deeds. Just like my Peace Lily, I can bloom, if only for a season.

Celebrating life,
Jo

9 Comments:

  • At April 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Lynetta said...

    Very beautiful post, Jo. (And darling pictures of the grandbabies! So cute!) I'm sorry to hear about your sad news, too. Glad you got to visit Pinedale again, though.

    You do bloom where you're planted--one of the things I love best about you is that you can laugh at the silliest of things, even when things hurt like the dickens at the moment. Love you!

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    we can all learn from this!

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Cath said...

    Jo that is a beautiful post and you DO make a difference every day when you blog.

    You make a difference to me. :0)

     
  • At April 16, 2008 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Your Peace Lily is certainly flourishing besides not just "hanging in there", aren't you glad you didn't throw it out?
    Yes I agree with E.

     
  • At April 18, 2008 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Preity Angel... said...

    very lovely post JO...as Ms. Creek said we can all learn from this.. and its true.. believe me

    take care

    Have a good weekend dear.

    Angel

     
  • At April 18, 2008 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Just stopping to say hi & i love you ditty!

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Salute said...

    Well put together...so true.

     
  • At April 20, 2008 at 2:41 PM , Blogger San said...

    Beautiful, Jo! I'm sorry to be getting to this post several days late. But you ARE a peace lily. That's one of the reasons I listed on my long-winded foursies meme that one of the places I'd like to be right now is "drinking coffee with Jo down the street from the gallery." And I would.

     
  • At May 9, 2008 at 6:59 PM , Blogger RiverPoet said...

    I know it may not seem the same to you, but my little puppy Leo died at 16 weeks old last August 15. My boss, who is an animal lover and whose mother was director of the local humane society, sent me a peace lily. It's the first one I've been able to keep alive and it reminds me of Leo every time I see it. It doesn't bloom anymore, though, so I don't know if I've done something wrong.

    I'm glad you're keeping yours going, too. Peace - D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home