Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Life Goes On...



Last week while I was in Utah with my daughter, I got word that the husband of a friend of mine had died. His funeral was Tuesday so I made the trip to Kemmerer to console my friend. There were so many people attending the funeral, they had to move it to the High School Auditorium.

I knew Larry and Carolyn from Pinedale, a little town in western Wyoming where I grew up. Larry was a friend of Mike, my first husband and father of my children. I became friends with Carolyn but moved away from Pinedale before Larry became a preacher and was a missionary in Peru for 18 years. I kept in touch with them over the years and received their prayer letters. I have had little contact with other people from Pinedale days.

I estimated that there were over 300 people at the funeral and recognized many Pinedale people. I was amazed at the number of people who recognized me; I chatted with most of them. Others turned their backs to me as if I wore a Scarlet Letter. Some asked me how I found out about the funeral and wondered why I would attend or even travel that far. (For me, traveling 300 miles in one day is like a hop and a skip.)

The funeral was very inspiring and uplifting as Larry had a special way about him to make people feel at ease around him. Everyone who spoke told how Larry's influence had changed their lives. I walked out of there feeling empowered.

On the drive back to Utah, I pondered about what I have accomplished in my life, what legacy I might be leaving behind and what others might say about me when it is my time to be placed in a pine box. I have no answers to these questions but my hope is that people will remember me with kindness and that I have touched them in a positive way.

Life goes on and so must I.
Jo

8 Comments:

  • At April 14, 2008 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Okay ... I am going to stand on my soap box. It was good of you to go & support her & you are linked to so many people there not just through Pinedale but the NW Baptist mission, and if people questioned you or what ever...SO WHAT! You were there to support Carolyn...why were they there? You know what Pinedale people are like ffs! If "wwe" can shake off what others say or think...we can begin to mend "me" "ourselves".
    And Jo...if the only thing you leave after you die are sweet memories for your children and grandchildren & sisters and friends...kindness you have done that you don't even remember ffs...then that's your legacy!

     
  • At April 14, 2008 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    you have worked very hard, professionally, and accomplished much there, too!

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 6:38 AM , Blogger San said...

    Very sweet post, Jo. It struck a chord with me in that I've always found it ironic that the way I seem to run into old high school friends is at the funeral home.

    And like you, like many of us, I wonder about my own legacy.

    A part of yours: She woke up each morning Celebrating Life!

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 7:42 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    The main thing I remember about Larry Hultquist is the animal
    carcasses he had all over his house...that skunk one was always on the coffee table. ffs

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Hilary said...

    I'm sorry for your loss but heartened by your introspection. Thanks for visiting my blog.

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    That was Mike K who had the animal carcases all over his house but Larry did have a skunk skin cap and always sang that song: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road...
    LOL

     
  • At April 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    I thought you had good visits with all those pinedale people and they were glad to see you. who said those things and when/why do you feel like the scarlet letter?

     
  • At April 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Yes, Larry had hides and skins and heads and antlers and horns. I would have hated to see what he adorned his hut with in Peru! LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home