Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Blast from the Past.....

This morning when I went for my chiropractor's appointment, I did not expect anything unusual. I chatted with the different patients I have become acquainted with over the last year since my auto accident. Then when I least expected it a guy came in that looked strangely familiar to me but I wasn't sure where I met him. Because I am so friendly and visit with everyone, he joined in the conversation.

Then it hit me, my memory cells from 30 years ago jogged lose and I was sure that I knew him when they called his name and took him back to therapy. I didn't know if I should say anything or just let it be. I decided to just revel in the memories and not say anything.

When we were back in the therapy room and I was on the hydrobed, he was sitting there waiting for the stretch table and he started chatting with me again. He asked me common questions about how long I have lived in Rock Springs and what I do for a living. I politely answered his questions and I thought that he might have recognized me too! Then I asked him how old his dog, Whiskey, grew to be. The look of shock and amazement on his face was almost laughable. I blurted out, "we knew each other in 1978." I could see the lightbulb come on in his eyes. We chatted for another five minutes or so then he left the therapy room.

People come and go in and out of our lives for a reason. Back then, I was going through a painful divorce and was very vulnerable. I dated Larry for just a few months but my memory of him never went away. Larry taught me many things but in the end I wasn't wild enough or savvy enough for him and he moved on. I knew that someday I would see him again and know that I am a stronger and better person for having met him and grown beyond him.

Last September after my mother passed away, I was going through my trunk of old pictures and came across these. For some reason I could not give myself permission to toss them; maybe because they are a part of what I used to be and still am to some extent. I tossed them back into the trunk until this morning when I felt the need to blog about my chance encounter.

Just in case you are curious, Larry has been married for 26 years and has four grown children. He and his wife are happily married and have had a good life together. I am happy for him and wish them well. He doesn't look like he used to; he's 30 years older with a lot less hair on his head and none on his face. I didn't think it would be appropriate to take a picture of him with my cell phone for comparison! LOL

People come in and out of our lives for a reason; this time it is for me to measure my life's growth and it has been good.


Larry at Fremont Lake, 1978.


Me in 1978.


Larry in 1978.

The picture on my blog is me now. I like me, now.

Jo

13 Comments:

  • At March 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM , Blogger San said...

    Jo, I like you now too. And I LOVE that you like you now. Running into Larry must have been destiny's way of showing you how fabulous you are NOW.

    Talk about a cause to Celebrate Life. Way to go, friend!

     
  • At March 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM , Blogger david mcmahon said...

    Bless you for the way you have embraced life (and everything it threw at you) after the accident.

    Your view of existence is summed up in your beautiful words: ``People come in and out of our lives for a reason; this time it is for me to measure my life's growth and it has been good.''

    Yes, there is a reason ....

     
  • At March 5, 2008 at 1:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Jo-Jo,
    I'm not back posting yet. I had to stop by and see what's up here. Wonderful post. You blasted yourself out from the past. I like you too.

     
  • At March 5, 2008 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    WOW sista....i DO remember those pics but I don't think I remember him.
    Life is strange huh????
    Look how pretty you & fremont lake are!!!

     
  • At March 5, 2008 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    San, thank you for your kind words! I like you too, my blog friend!

    David: Life has thrown me some hard balls before and after the auto accident. My hard times have made me more empathetic and sensitive to others.

    Chewy: I can't wait for you to return to blog land, I miss you! It makes me feel good to know that you like me too because I respect and admire you and your work very much!

    Velvet: Thank you for your kind words but you are the pretty one!

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 3:39 AM , Blogger Merisi said...

    I love how you kept your wonderful smile! Good luck to you,
    Merisi
    (David sent me)

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM , Blogger Cath said...

    Came via David's. Wonderful post. "for a reason..." so true and so glad you could catch up.

    Your smile is still there.

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 5:00 AM , Blogger Mima said...

    I recently had a ex come back into my life through Facebook of all things, and it certainly gets you remembering and thinking things through. When you take everything that has happened since and how you have grown from it, it is an amazing feeling, and gives you a real smile!

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 7:58 AM , Blogger bcmomtoo said...

    I came via David's, and I enjoyed your post.

    Not that it happens often, but I have a hard time saying anything when I run into someone I used to know. I'm always afraid they won't remember me!

    Sometimes it is good to be reminded of your past, to reflect on it and realize you are who you are because of everything you have gone through.

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Daryl said...

    What a wonderful post .. I am sure you are fabulous .. even more so now because we women are like fine wines we become so much more as we get 'older'

    David sent me!

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Bradley's Mom said...

    I, too, came here by way of David's blog.

    What a wonderful post!!

    You sound like a great lady!!

    Linda

     
  • At March 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    What a wonderful post, I have arrived via David's blog, glad to have found you.

     
  • At March 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Celebration of Life said...

    Thank you everyone who has come over from David's blog and left me a message. Life is full of lessons; we are the ones to decide if we are going to learn from them or discard them and wallow in our unhappiness. Peace!
    Jo

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home