Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

I miss my Mother...

I'm not sure when this picture was taken but I think it was after Dad died. Even though Dad's death devestated her, Mother was strong and trusted God to get her through her period of mourning. I remember that when she went to bed, she would put on a stack of records which were all hymns and fell asleep with the words saturating her heart and soul. Mother had a lifetime of sorrows but they never stopped her from being upbeat; she lived her faith.

I have so many good memories of Mother; she taught me how to bake bread from scratch, she would tell me stories of her childhood and she taught me how to knit...crochet one, pearl two.
Mother taught me to be strong in the worst of times and how to laugh at the silliest of things. Mother taught me unconditional love.


Now that I am a grandmother, I want to pass on to the next generations, my mother's legacy. Motherhood and Grandmahood is more than changing diapers, fixing meals and cleaning. Motherhood is mentoring, teaching and living your Faith.

Thank you Mother for being such a wonderful role model.

Your loving daughter,

Jo


4 Comments:

  • At May 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    beautiful tribute, jo.

     
  • At May 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Thank you for posting this about our dear Mother...she is forever loved

     
  • At May 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Jeni said...

    Although -or even though -the relationship I had with my Mother was frequently quite confrontational -two stubborn women, meeting head-on is not a very good mix, ya know -it will be 31 years come October since she left me to face the world virtually alone (well three kids, ages 12, 6 and almost 4 don't count at those ages as "Helpmates" ya know) and regardless or maybe because of the confrontation side that existed I miss her greatly and it seems like I notice those feelings even more today than I did early on after her death. Wonder why that is or am I alone in that category?

     
  • At May 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM , Blogger San said...

    Beautiful, Jo. Your mother passed on her wisdom and you are carrying it forward with grace.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home