Celebration of Life

Moving beyond my pain and celebrating life.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Silent Witness


This photo was taken several years ago in Glenrock. The two figures above represent my sister Beckie and her three boys who were murdered in 1990 in domestic violence. The other figures are other women, children and men who have been murdered in Wyoming in domestic violence.
Today, I travel to Rawlins to participate in the Silent Witness Initiative. In the last 9 years, I have only missed a few of them. Next year 2010 marks ten years since this Initiative was implemented; the theme was "Zero by 2010." Zero deaths due to domestic violence is an awareness campaign started Nationally in 1999. Ellie and I walked Beckie's silhouette in the rain and wind from the Washington Memorial to the Capitol in Washington D.C. Today, I will walk with Beckie again.
What can we as a society do to stop the violence and deaths?

3 Comments:

  • At October 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Velvet Ginger said...

    Like i told you before, I am glad you still go to these Jo. When Calvin & I & Ellie's girls walked the Silent Witness road with you in Gillette, it hit me hard that DV has impacted other families as hard as ours. There was a unity in this. As hard as it was, this was very eye opening.

     
  • At October 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Mahlou said...

    Oh, my Lord! How difficult it must be for you -- and what a memorial to make the reality come alive for others to try to curb this violence. Go, change the world! God be with you!

     
  • At October 9, 2009 at 3:02 AM , Blogger Ellie Creek Ellis said...

    Thank you for carrying Beckie for us,Jolene. I love you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home